Below is a link to hear the message and here are my notes to the teaching: http://sermon.net/melissaphillips/sermonid/1199973982
- Why was I made?
- Why did this happen to me?
- Why do I feel the way I feel?
- Why don’t you release me from pain?
If God answered the question would it change the past?
Would it change how you feel pain?
Would it still have the same effects of the tragedy?
The real questions is NOT “WHY” BUT we want to know is “God are going to help me, take care of me, be with me even if I don’t understand the “why” or know “why”
Why did that happen? Why was I made this way? Just because I don’t look like someone else doesn’t make us wrong. As humans we compare ourselves to other people in looks, living, status… etc.
I HAVE HAD MY “WHY” MOMENTS… when Bryson was born prematurely – when things happened to my own children, my own family, my own life.
We can’t figure out God. BUT we can we get to a point in our life to where we live by his promises and not demand explanations. DOES IT DELIGHT THE DEVIL WHEN WE QUESTION GOD “WHY”
Heard it was a sin to ask God why… but to ask what can I learn from this.
Should we get to a time when we stop asking God ‘why’ AND be thankful the way God is with you and you have Him to lean upon. The “whys” must become a map in our brain of trusting God.
We can prevent wasting days of confusion. Author of confusion is devil= waste time – reasoning strongholds – analytical thinking (lack of faith thinking)
Fact number one: When the brain changes the mind changes….
Fact number two: What flows through the mind sculpts the brain….. road map
Fact number three: You can use your mind to change your brain to change your mind for the better.
Neuroplasticity occurs inside us everyday as we encounter new experiences. Picture is the circuitry in the brain. From the left – newborn, then a 3 month old, 15 month old, and 2-year-old. As the child ages, their brain’s wiring becomes more complex and interconnected.
Neuroplasticity is what allows us to take our experiences, then learn from them and form new memories. Huge changes are occurring in the brain during these early stages of cognitive development under 7yrs old, but the truth is that our neural networks continue to build on each other until the day we die. (before they thought brain stopped at 7) By changing our experiences we can actively reshape our brains.
Left frontal cortex = more positive emotions – puts stop on negative emotions (stress- release cortisol that destroys the brain = can lose that part of the brain enable to form new memories
New synapses form. Like trees with branches connect. GET THICKER creates road maps throughout our brain.
- Our thoughts can change the structure and function of our brains. The science is called neuroplasticity. It has the power to change its own structure. Repetitive positive thought and positive activity can rewire your brain and strengthen brain areas that stimulate positive feelings.
- stimulates the growth of nerve connections.
- improves cognition by increasing mental productivity.
- improves your ability to analyze and think.
- affects your view of surroundings.
- increases attentiveness.
- leads to more happy thoughts.
- Your thoughts form your character, how you operate in the world, how far you travel mentally, physically, and spiritually. You are what you think you are, and all of your actions proceed from thought. Your inner thoughts will always be reflected in your outer circumstances, because self-generated changes in your life are always preceded by changes in the way you think about something.
- If we rest our attention on negative we actually destroy parts of our brain. Habits usually play to our negative but disciplines and creativity create the positive. Even mental diseases/disorders such as bipolar, skizoph, phobias, ocd, can be changed.
Worry: anxious until corrected: If you act on the symptom or dwell on it creates a snowball effect, therefore we have to change our thoughts. We can create rigid habits…. Snow on a hill…. Changeable. Build up and thicker – harder to change….. do opposite of what you feel with your emotions to create the right thing to do…. Lose weight=get out of habits, educate yourself…… OR WHEN YOU GET INTO THE WHY GOD QUESTIONS….
Why questioning can make us doubt God – enemy doesn’t want you to TRUST GOD FOR YOUR LIFE.
GOD always doesn’t want US to know the Why, God just wants us to trust him… we must get to a place where we mentally just know God is going to take care of the situation even if we don’t understand.
To get a result we must ask the “why” question.
Why was humans made? – worship God! Everything we do should always point or lead us in the direction to worship God – however the world and the enemy was us to focus on self.
The Why produces a result:
In Staff: Volunteering – ask yourself the “why” to grasp the results…
We greet – why: makes people feel loved and welcome/safe
We do we come to church – consistency – why: fellowship and faith
We teach giving – why: keeps the church’s doors open, furthers the gospel and opens heavens for you
“Why stage” as a child
Then there are the “Why” questions we all ask ourselves – why does God let bad things happen to good people… “Why does a baby get cancer” Why does death come at such a hard time, why do people suffer, why are there child slaves….. again asking the question why as a child coming to the Father is not wrong, it is a question children have done for years…. (Because I said so!)
There was a level of trust when you don’t know the ending in mind!
LIFE’S DIFFICULTIES: Why am I going through this?
In the Bible: In Psalms, we find the psalmist raising this question from time-to-time when a difficult trial had come into their life.
2How long, O LORD, must I call for help? But you do not listen! “Violence is everywhere!” I cry, but you do not come to save. 3Must I forever see these evil deeds? Why must I watch all this misery? Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence.I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight. 4The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts.
Psalm 10:1 Why do You stand afar off, O LORD? Why do You hide in times of trouble?
Psalm 22:1 My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me? Why are You so far from helping Me, And from the words of My groaning?
Psalm 44:23 Awake! Why do You sleep, O Lord? … 24 Why do You hide Your face, And forget our affliction and our oppression?
Psalm 74:1 O God, why have You cast us off forever? … 11 Why do You withdraw Your hand,
It WASN’T WRONG for us to ask God “why?” “Lord, why this affliction? Why this suffering? Why this tragedy?”…… It’s not wrong but get to a mental place where you trust Him it is for the betterment to come.
Hebrew people delivered from bondage
“Why moses did you bring us out here to die, why moses…”. BUT AS WE SEE GOD HAD A PLAN – HIS PURPOSE WASN’T TO TRAP THEM BUT RELY ON HIM FOR DELIVERANCE
But there is a danger! The danger comes when we expect that God must give us an answer to all our why questions HIS ways…
we most of the time want to quickly get through the pain we are enduring.
Don’t learn trust God the first time, you usually repeat something else until you do….
We are created to worship HIM – rely on HIM – Trust HIM
WHY ME…. We feel like we are the only one going through our situation…. No one understands me!
4Lying in bed, I think, ‘When will it be morning?’ But the night drags on, and I toss till dawn.
5My body is covered with maggots and scabs. My skin breaks open, oozing with pus. 11“I cannot keep from speaking. I must express my anguish. My bitter soul must complain. 15I would rather be strangled—rather die than suffer like this. 16I hate my life and don’t want to go on living. Oh, leave me alone for my few remaining days.
SOUNDS LIKE JOB WAS HAVING A WHY MOMENT – he had every right too!
JOB 42: 10When Job prayed for his friends, the LORD restored his fortunes. In fact, the LORD gave him twice as much as before! 11Then all his brothers, sisters, and former friends came and feasted with him in his home. And they consoled him and comforted him because of all the trials the LORD had allowed against him. And each of them brought him a gift of money and a gold ring.
12So the LORD blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning.
Does God suffer when we suffer? Isah 63 9In all their suffering he also suffered, and he personally rescued them. In his love and mercy he redeemed them. He lifted them up and carried them through all the years.
Does God know what it is like to lose someone and grieve? Yes – He voluntarily gave His son to die for us for the end result.
Will God help us? SLIDE Psalms 34 17 -19 The LORD hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles.
18The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.19The righteous person faces many troubles, but the LORD comes to the rescue each time.
1:6 In my desperation I prayed, and the LORD listened;
he saved me from all my troubles.
SAY: THE LORD WILL ALWAYS HELP ME DURING MY WHY MOMENTS….
PROVERBS 3 5Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.6Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
SAY: I AM NOT GOING TO UNDERSTAND IT
New International Version (©1984) I Corinthians 10:13-14
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
I Corinthians 10:13-14 (Living version)
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure. So, my dear friends, flee from the worship of idols.
Breaking the Scripture down: The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.
- Temptation = circumstances, distractions (Anything that would cause you to get your mind off God that leads to idolatry or sin)
- Taken you – Seized you, enemy grasps us and attempts to hold us fast.
- Common: human nature, anything we are subjected to including demonic realm; man has natural ability to resist and God is able to keep them from falling.
God is faithful
- God was able to bring you through it all.
- God is the only source of security, this has to be enough.
- If you look only to yourselves you will fall. If you depend on the faithfulness of God, you are secure.
- If you resist temptation, ask God for help and depended on his promises, then he would be faithful. It also implies avoiding the places of areas where temptation occurs.
He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand.
- A promise, just as applicable to all Christians as it was to the Corinthians. It implies:
- That all the circumstances, causes, and agents that lead to temptation are under the control of God. Every man that tempts another; demonic activity; every book, picture, place of amusement; every charm of music, and of song; every piece of indecent statuary; and every plan of business, of gain or ambition, are all under the control of God. He can check them; he can control them; he can paralyze their influence; he can destroy them;
- When people are tempted, it is because God permits it. He Himself does not tempt human beings James 1:13 (God doesn’t tempt); He does not infuse evil thoughts into the mind; nor does He create an object of temptation to place in our way, but He allows it to be placed there by others. When we are tempted, we are to remember it is because God allows or permits it; not because He does it. We are to remember there is some good reason why it is permitted; and that it will be turned in around for His glory, and to our advancement in virtue.
- There is a certain extent to which we are able to resist temptation. There is a limit to our power. There is a point beyond which we are not able to resist it. We do not have the strength of angels, that limit our will in all cases, be beyond the point of any circumstances.
- If people fall into sin, under the power of temptation, people are to blame, not God. People have strength to resist all the temptations that attacks them. In all instances, therefore, where people fall into sin; in all the yielding to passion, to allurement, and to vice, man is to blame, and must be responsible to God.
- He will, at the same time that He allows the trial or temptation to befall us, make a way of deliverance; He will save us from being entirely overcome by it.
- That we may be able to bear it or endure it. God knows what His people are able to endure, and as He has entire control of all that can affect them, He will adapt all trials to their strength, and will enable them to bear all that is appointed to them.
- flee from the worship of idols. – WHEN OUR FOCUS BECOMES ON US IN OUR WHY
James chapter 1: 2 – 4 shows us a completely different attitude that we should be adopting.
Living Translation: Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.
Message version: “Consider it a sheer gift, friends when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”
Attitude has to change. ASKING WHY IS NOT A BAD THING – IT IS OUR ATTITUDE OF ASKING WHY…..
natural instinct is to think of difficulties as a curse to be avoided.
The phrase “Don’t try to get out of anything prematurely” It has helped me understand that God wants me to use every difficulty I go through to develop my faith.
WE ALL WANT TO become more spiritually mature; but don’t know how to develop faith when going through difficulties.
Learning journey IS TRUSTING GOD in every situation….
Trust God even when life is not fair – bad things happen to good people….WHY?
Gen 3:1-5 Sin happened because the enemy tricked Eve into eating from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil to be like God… therefore sin entered into this world and FREE WILL to do as we please … sin fell upon ALL mankind from Adam, therefore sin is always present in this world.
Romans 5:12 New Living Translation (©2007)
When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.
Trust God even when you don’t understand:
Jeremiah 18:6 the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand. SAY: I AM THE CLAY – GOD IS MAKING ME BEAUTIFUL!
Romans 8:17 17And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. SAY: I AM A CHILD OF JESUS AND I AM AN HEIR OF HIS PROMISES.
John 12:24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. SAY: TO HELP OTHERS I MUST DIE TO SELF AND MY WILL
2 Corinthians 4:8-10,17 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. 9We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 10Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies. …For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! SAY: THIS IS ONLY A SEASON OF MY LIFE AND I WILL GET THROUGH THIS
Trusting God’s Heart when you ask “How long is this pain going to be?”
I Peter 1:6-7 So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. 7These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. SAY: THIS IS MAKING MY FAITH GROW, MY RELATIONSHIP GROW AND REVEAL THE GLORY OF JESUS IN ME.
Trusting God’s purpose – why bad things happen
Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. SAY: EVERYTHING I GO THROUGH IS FOR A PURPOSE
I peter , 4:12,19 12Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. So if you are suffering in a manner that pleases God, keep on doing what is right, and trust your lives to the God who created you, for he will never fail you. SAY: ALTHOUGH I DON’T UNDERSTAND, I WILL CONTINUE TO TRUST GOD AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT
Why me? Trusting God when your heart is broken
Luke 10:38 Martha asked Jesus – don’t you care? (demanded things to change by God)
Psalm 89:8 God is mighty and he is faithful
2 corth 12:8-10
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Isaiah 43 listen to the LORD who created you. … the one who formed you says, “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.I have called you by name; you are mine. SAY: I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW GOD IS WITH ME
2When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty,you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up;the flames will not consume you. SAY: NO MATTER HOW I FEEL OR WHAT I GO THROUGH I WILL MAKE IT BECAUSE GOD IS WITH ME.
3For I am the LORD, your God,the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.because you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.5“Do not be afraid, for I am with you.7Bring all who claim me as their God,for I have made them for my glory.It was I who created them.’” SAY: I KNOW GOD IS GOING TO WORK ALL MY SITUATIONS TO BRING HIM GLORY.
We must have faith and we must trust him…Hebrews 11:6And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.
WHEN YOU GO THROUGH SOMETHING IT IS FOR PURPOSE TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE! BRINGS encouragement FOR OTHERS GOING THROUGH IT TOO….. PAST HURTS HELP OTHERS WHEN YOU SHARE
Trusting God to set me free
Gal 5:1 So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.
Hebrews 12:1-2 let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.
Proverbs 2:8He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him.
Psalm 37:23-24, The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.24Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the LORD holds them by the hand.
The Secret Behind This Secret
The secret lives within you: the Holy Spirit. Not only will he convict you of the rightness of trusting in the Lord, he’ll help you do it. It’s just too tough to do on your own.
Trusting in the Lord—in little baby steps. He’ll catch you if you stumble. He’ll rejoice with you when you succeed.
Trusting in the Lord is a lifelong challenge. You never finally “arrive.” Each new crisis calls for re-commitment. The good news is that the more often you see God’s loving hand working in your life, the easier this trusting becomes.
When you trust in the Lord, you’ll feel as if the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders. The pressure’s off you now and on God, and he can handle it perfectly.
It takes more faith to go through something victoriously than to be delivered from it….
- We must have crystal clarity on the fact that suffering is not the worst evil — sin is. Yes, we would prefer not to suffer, and pray for the relief of suffering. Focus far more on not sinning than on not suffering. We should have a focus on getting ourselves and others to heaven. God allows us to grow spiritually and minister to others by circumstances of suffering .
- THINK in terms of eternity, not in terms of calendar years. Our goal is to get to heaven and take as many other people as possible.
- Daily prayer: focused on nothing but prayer, every day
- “Our first priority should be listening in patience and silence for the voice of God.”
- They submit their discernment to others People who have a long history of watching the way the Lord works in their lives notice that he often speaks through holy friends, family members and clergy. If they discern that God is calling them to something, especially if it’s something big, they ask trusted Christian confidantes to pray about the matter and see if they discern the same thing. And when others warn them not to follow a certain path — especially if it’s a spouse, confessor or spiritual director — they take those indicators very seriously.
- Obedience to God – “That’s the excitement in obedience,” he said. “Finding out later what God had in mind.”
- Actions would be to trust God and not try to figure out my future.
We must come to a place in God in our relationship where we have contentment.
And not understand the why questions even if it doesn’t seem right, feel right but trusting god enough to know he will work it out for our good.
- Find passages in the bible that help me trust God.
- Change the way you think that is consistent with Bible truth.
- Change actions that are consistent with new way of thinking.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know”.
Thinking how to change to be consistent with this verse.
When I think about my difficulties, I often think they are dreadful and I don’t understand why I should be going through them. But this verse tells me not to rely on what I think I know. Don’t lean on own understanding.
There once was a farmer who had one son and they were working together to bring in the harvest. One day the son fell off the tractor and broke his arm and couldn’t help any more. The farmer thought this was very bad luck. A week later an army recruitment officer came through and the farmers son was not taken away to fight because he had a broken arm. The farmer thought this was very good luck.
So was it good or bad that the son’s arm was broken? It depends partially on what happens in the future.
This simple story illustrates that often, like the farmer, we think we know whether something is good or bad, but our opinion might change with hindsight. Only God knows what will happen in the future and he promises in Romans chapter 8 verse 28:
“We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose.”
This is why we can trust in the Lord with all of our hearts.
“God knows what he is doing and his plans for me are good”. I also think “I don’t understand why I am facing these difficult times but that is OK because I don’t have to understand.
Changing my actions. The same God who knew you before the foundation of this world –is with you, then ask yourself who or WHAT can stand against you
Lazarus story….. why lord didn’t you come… then unwrap and let go the past…..
Trust always requires always having unanswered questions in your life… Continue to make the declarations of the Word in your life and renew your mind!