There are things we must learn to do as a baby. Walking is a major developmental leap for babies, and parents are often anxious about when it’ll happen. Did you know it takes most babies about 1,000 hours of practice from the time they pull themselves upright to the time they can walk alone. We must learn to stand up and walk. Walking is non negotiable, it is a process and it is something we all have to learn. It takes time, balance and repetition along with falling down and getting a few bump, bruises and scrapes. We can run, leap and jump once we learn to walk. The attributes of learning to walk brings with it other capabilities. Then it becomes natural, we don’t have to think about it. We don’t get out of bed every morning and think about how we can get from one room to another. We learn how to walk because it is a basic human transportation need. We can learn to swim, which is a choice but not a necessity to live and be productive like walking.
Once you become a Christian, it is like walking. As baby Christians, it takes countless hours to learn to step out in faith and find strength to go into places never walked. As we see in God’s word, He wants us to walk! It should be natural, not always easy at first but once mastered brings great rewards.
- Walk in obedience, walk in love. 2 John 1:6 New International Version And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. Ephesians 5:2 and walk in love as Christ loved the church….
- Walk in the name of the Lord. Micah 4:5 …we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.
- Walk in the light. John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” I John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
- Walk to be blessed. Deuteronomy 5:33 Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. 1 Thessalonians 4:1 Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more.
- Walk in freedom. Psalm 119:45 I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.
- Walk in truth. Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth..
- Walk in His way. Psalm 119:3 They also do no unrighteousness; They walk in His ways.
- Walk in understandingg. Proverbs 9:6 Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding.
- Walk in peace. Isaiah 57:2 Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.
- Walk in the right path. Proverbs 14:2 Those who walk the right path fear the LORD; those who take the wrong path despise him.
- Walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5:24 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
- Walk wisely. Ephesians 5:15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise…Proverbs 13:20 He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.
- Walk by faith. 2 Corinthians 5:7 for we walk by faith, not by sight.
- Walk to find happiness. Psalm 119:35 Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found.
Prayer: Lord, as we venture into new places in our lives, help us to conquer our fear and know you are right there beside us to help us with taking our first step into the unknown. I thank you for always giving us direction. Walking with you brings many promises and I am thankful for those attributes you give us. You make me smile today! Amen.