I remember as a child how fun it was to go Easter egg hunting. This great family event would start with dying the eggs. We then would take turns hiding them outside or inside depending on the weather. I am sure my mother got a few surprises several weeks later when she found the one that we couldn’t. To me, it was just as much fun to hide them as to search for them. When I continued the family tradition with my boys was even more special. It brought such great joy to watch my son’s or other children’s expression and excitement when they found an egg, the prize one or who could find the most.
Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing; but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.
God does not need to search for any thing because nothing can be hid from Him. However it is the honor of rulers to search. God likes to hide things. He gets joyful and excited when we study the Word of God and search out the meaning of Scriptures. He knows we are trying to get closer to Him, find His love and eat at His table. The glory of God is not so much to conceal as to reveal Himself to those whom He prepares to receive the revelation. Just as we get excited to watch our children search for the prize, giving them hot or cold hints, we all rejoice when the prize is found. God gives us little hot and cold hints to lead us in the direction of the treasure. However, once found doesn’t mean it is the end, there is more!
Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong unto the Lord our God; but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.
We are directed and encouraged, diligently to seek into that which God has made known through His Word. He has kept back nothing that is profitable for us. When we seek and find so that we may obey His Word, we will be blessed in our deeds according to His Word. With finding the hidden things of God, we live and are blessed beyond measure.
Profitable Bible study involves more than just opening a chapter and reading it. Here are several guidelines to help you find greater treasures.
- Set aside a regular time of the day for time alone with God, reading His Word and praying. Try to get up a few minutes earlier than you normally do and as you continue to enjoy your time alone with God before the day starts, you will be able to increase that time. For now, try just 10-15 minutes. Play some quiet soaking music to enjoy your time alone with the Almighty.
- Before you start searching, ask God for help and understanding. Ask Him to reveal wisdom and knowledge to you.
- Don’t try to read many chapters, it is better to read five or six verses and get meaning out of them instead of reading several chapters for the sake of reading.
- Think about what you are reading. Try and apply it to your life at the moment as if He was speaking directly to you.
- Keep a journal. Write down at least one truth or principle you can put into practice.
- Thank Him for revealing the treasure.
- If your translation is to hard for you to understand, I suggest getting a Living Bible. It is much easier to read, hold your attention and will help you understand meaning.
- Don’t get discouraged. It is hard to start a new habit for the good. If you happen to miss one day, don’t give in just pick up where you left off.
- Be warned, once you start seeking and searching, it becomes an addiction! You will look forward to beginning your day with God and won’t want to miss what He is going to reveal.
Smile and know God is waiting for you right now. He is waiting for you to seek and find. He can’t wait to reveal His glory to you. You are His child and He will hold nothing back if you are willing to search out the matter.